Bali are known as The Island of gods, almost everything here in this island are connected or based on Hindu believes and their gods. To prove this is easy, just look at the amount of Temples or Pura all around Bali with different size and use.
As you may probably know that Bali has so many villages also, and in each village got to have atleast three temples :
1. Temple of the gods = Pura Desa
2. Temple of death = Pura Dalem
3. Temple of origin = Pura Puseh
Also in each village, every family if possible got to have their own temples atleast two :
1. Temple within the house yard = Sanggah/Mrajan
2. Family origin temple for the family clan = Pura Dadia
There are also lots of great Temples around Bali such as the one at Besakih, Uluwatu, Batur, and many more. All highly honored by the Hindu people in Bali.
So highly honored, all the temple in Bali has their own anniversary which became a ceremony or festival with lots of wonderful offerings or as local would call it Bantenan here in Bali. This ceremony or festival are named “Odalan”, a festival that signifies the day that the temple was completed and the first time the great Hindu God Sanghyang Widhi Wasa was invited to attend.
The Odalan it self is held every 210 days which is a year in Balinese Calender.
Odalan has a view type according to the importance and duration of days :
1. Odalan Madudus Agung = Large Odalan -> 4(four) days
2. Odalan Alit = Small Odalan -> 1(one) day
3. Odalan Madana/Ngusaha = A very special odalan -> more then a week
4. Odalan Eka Dasa Rudra = Besakih Temple Odalan(the biggest Hindu Bali temple) -> once every 100 years
For the Balinese, Odalan is not just a festival but also an important religion celebration, social occasion that leads to major theatrical event.